Re: [Amps] QSK (okay, not QSK...)

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QSK (okay, not QSK...)
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:35:02 -0600
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:06:20 +0000, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

>Most people wouldn't dream of trying to interrupt a
>contest transmission before it's finished

Huh? I do it all the time!  I use Writelog, and the <ESC> key
interrupts my transmission quite nicely without causing any
problems with generation of serial numbers, memory, or logging. I
would be quite surprised if other mature contesting software
wasn't equally flexible.

My AEA keyers can also interrupt memory sending, although not as
neatly because their (much older) microprocessors are a lot more
primative than Writelog running on a modern computer.

My standard CW contest setup is a Writelog computer in parallel
with an AEA/paddle (and, of course, full QSK).

With respect to relays -- I own three models of Ten Tec amps, all
bought used. I've replaced the high voltage relays in the two that
I've used most. Since both had a lot of miles on them before I
bought them, I have no way of knowing if, or how many times, they
might have been replaced. Replacements typically cost $40 (pulls
from industrial gear) -$80 (new-Gigavac) if you know where to
look. I own spares of both types.

Jim Brown K9YC