Re: [Amps] For cats sake!

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] For cats sake!
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:13:24 -0500
Rich,

Isn't a choke an iron core with one coil on it? What if we put a tap on the
choke, that's the same at the wiper on the back, only it moves from coil to
coil. One could say an autotransformer is just a big choke as it uses one coil
instead of two. It's according to how you connect it for use. Now if we took
that variac and placed it in series with one line lead going to the plate
transformer instead of the conventional way, that to me is the same as a
variable choke. You can hook one side of the variacs coil to the line, and the
other side either left unhooked or connected to the wiper, then the wiper side
on to the primary of the plate transformer. It's just like adding a rheostat in
series except you have the benefit of AC impedance. If a choke wont drop or
impede an AC current, I guess I do need to re-take a course in AC theory.

Best,

Will