Re: [Amps] For cats sake!

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] For cats sake!
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:19:20 GMT
Hi Barrie,
 How about a 1970's methodology... a SCR phase controlled regulator?

73 & Good morning,
  Marv WC6W

-- "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net> wrote:
I've been running the HV for my 432 amp from a sort-of all-purpose power supply
through a long piece of coax.

The problem is that the power supply is built (in my typical fashion) in the
bottom of a large rack, with no covers on anything.  So, HV is readily
accessible to my wife's relatively new and very curious cats.

Untill I can unbuild, and then fashion covers for the main power supply, I
think I'll build a complete power supply for the 432 amp.

I don't want to buy a new transformer.  I do have a surplus Peter Dahl 3100
volt @ 1.5 amp ccs transformer that will supply more than the 3000 volts  that
I need.

I could include a variac, which I have, although I hear various reports on this
reflector that variacs are bad.

Another option, which I know nothing about, would be the "buck-and-boost"
scheme.

Other than going QRT, any comments on an approach?

73, Barrie, W7ALW