Re: [Amps] Pin Diodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pin Diodes
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:14:49 -0800
W0UN -- John Brosnahan wrote:

> I, too, was disappointed to hear that the 9500 was going back to a vacuum-
> relay-based QSK system since I have been very happy with my Alpha 87As
> and have never had any problems with PIN diodes after Alpha sorted out the
> issues for the Alpha 86 T/R switch update.

I just want to add my own anecdotal evidence and prejudices here.  I had
an Alpha 86 (apparently updated) for a couple of years with absolutely
no PIN diode problems, and I operate QSK cw exclusively, even in
contests.  All my antennas are fed through DC-ground type lightning
protectors, which might have helped as John suggests.

I've also used vacuum relays in several amplifiers with Rich Measures'
speedup circuit.  I once had to replace a Jennings RJ1a; the failure
mode was that the receive contacts became unreliable.  I had a Kilovac
HC1 which worked fine for several years in an SB1000 and as far as I
know is still working for the guy who bought the amplifier.

Finally, I think that the smooth, quiet t/r switching of a QSK system is
worthwhile even for SSB operation or semi-breakin CW.  I wouldn't have
an amplifier without it.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco