Re: [Amps] RF probe and SSB (may be a little OT)

To: "Bob" <n6ri@rtort.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF probe and SSB (may be a little OT)
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:54:21 -0800
> I have a scope but I am not sure about buying/building a RF probe.

A simple and inexpensive setup to monitor the distortion of the signal,
caused by the amplifier, is to rectify both the input and output of the amp,
with little home built detectors.  Then feed the output of one into the
vertical plates and the output of the other into the horizontal.  You are
simply measuring dc, so you do not need much bandwidth - just dc coupling.

You will end up with a straight line until the amp starts to flat top.  The
line then gets crooked and means you have gone too far.  Turn mike gain
counterclockwise until you see a straight line.

73,  Colin  K7FM