Re: [Amps] Transformers in series

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformers in series
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:19:38 -0500
As a rule of thumb, the kraft paper thickness is rated at 2 mils thick for
every hundred volts. If one can get to the paper to check the thickness with a
mic or caliper, they can see if it will hold up. Most everyone uses this rule
of thumb for insulation thickness. The paper between each layer only has to
withstand the voltage difference between the two layers of wire. The paper
thickness between each winding, and the bobbin thickness though has to be
figured for the full voltage of the coil in concern. If the transformer is
jumble wound, and some are, there is no layers but the coils are seperated by a
divider on the bobbin, and it has to be thick enough the same as the paper
between coils.

Best,

Will