Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:24:30 -0500
Al's correct. For any who want to try it, the way I used to chase threads on a
lathe was as follows. First, mount the shaft and bring it into round with your
dial indicator using a 4 jaw chuck. Next, bring the carriage up close to the
work, and engage the half nut lever while watching the thread dial for the
proper place for even and odd number threads. Let the carriage run until the
tool holder is in front of the thread. Stop the lathe and mount the V-tool in
the tool holder. Push it into the thread until it bottoms out. Make sure it is
aligned straight into the thread. Note what number you dropped the half-nut in
on. Back the tool out of the thread and watch how far out it takes to clear
using a dial indicator behind the cross-slide (for example 0.1"). Release the
half-nut and back the carriage back towards the tailstock out of the thread.
Run the tool in the amount you noted on the indicator before (0.10" example).
Start the lathe, and watch for the same number on the thre
 ad dial you recorded. Drop the half-nut in on this number and try to clean it
up first with the tool just tipping the bottom of the thread. If this dont work
try taking about a 0.0005" to 0.001" deeper cut than what the bottom depth is.
This being add that to the 0.10" example you backed the tool out by. 0.005 to
0.001 inch will make the fit of the thread looser but will clean it up.
Remember, what you take on one side reduces the OD by two times. Keep a set of
thread wires and a mic handy too. That's about all I can think of but using a
good cutting fluid sometimes helps.

Best,

Will