Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Proof of idiocy
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:02:29 -0500
That could propose a problem, especially using tool steel. A carbide insert
though will cut it. The only thing is you have to take a deeper cut sometimes
as something will give when the tool meets the work. In other words, dial it in
for a 0.001" cut and get a 0.0005" one. That takes some experience though, and
trial and error. I worked at a machine shop, running a 10 foot bed lathe, and
used to have to turn/bore hardened pump parts. I've actually seen a boring bar
at least 1-1/2" to 2" diameter deflect when taking a cut. You would mic the
bore and find you removed very little if none at all. We didn't have a toolpost
grinder handy so we had to do it this way. That's another thought on the
threads, is to use a thread grinder. That's expensive though as those wheels
are very expensive. One would need to send out the stem to a custom shop to do
this. They use these machines to grind the threads on taps. Case hardening
though, the part is softer so far under the surface so you h
 ave to watch for that. About the best idea would be to have somebody like
Cleveland Twist Drill, or another tap manufacturer make a die for it. Then set
the die to be loose with the set screw (split die) so it will clean up the
boogered threads and not try to cut them any deeper. A carbide die would be way
better than one made of tool steel here.

Best,

Will