Re: [Amps] increasing rf gain in driver stages ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] increasing rf gain in driver stages ?
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:13:39 -0500
Dan,

Increasing gain can be had by resetting the bias if the transistor can stand
the extra current through it. Also, you have to watch and not overload the
stage ahead of it. However, you said it did better with about 4X extra drive.
You would want to select a transistor that will withstand the amounts of
current needed for the gain, and that it's frequency spec will match. Then
re-do the bias so you acheive the gain with (or without) a new transistor. I'd
check what the transistors specs are that's in there now. You may find it can
handle it by doing the math. If it wont, look for one that will. Try looking
through the Motorola books, etc. You might even be able to use a NTE, etc.,
replacement by crossing the original, and finding one similar but a little
stronger.

Best,

Will