Re: [Amps] increasing rf gain in driver stages ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] increasing rf gain in driver stages ?
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:40:34 -0500
Dan,

Your speaking of a capacitor in paralell with a resistor on the emitter to
ground? The resistor sets the bias and the capacitor is used as a bypass cap.
Sometimes, an emitter resistor can be the signal output instead of the
collector. A coupling cap will be between the resistor and emitter to the next
stage. There though, they wouldn't be a bypass cap and it's according to the
circuit use. An inductor on the collector is generally used to block the signal
from getting into the power supply. Generally, they'll be an inductor, and
between it and the collector, a coupling cap to the next stage the same as a
tube amps tank circuit starts really. The base bias is generally made up of two
resistors. One going to ground, and one to the VCC, making a voltage divider.
The previous stage is coupled to the base through a coupling cap also in an amp
circuit, which blocks the base bias voltage off the previous stage. An
oscillator will be different, but the oscillators bias can be changed
 . There's two ways to bias a transistor amp circuit I've seen, either base, or
base and emitter bias. The only ways to raise the gain would be to change the
bias, use a transistor with higher gain than the one now in use (more E to C
current for the same amount of B current), or increase the bases drive signal.
That's really true of any amplifier circuit. Hope that helps.

Best,

Will