Re: [Amps] Big transformer request TSPA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Big transformer request TSPA
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:34:41 +0000

John T. M. Lyles wrote:
> Before I start searching for 3 KVA pole pigs I will ask here. I have
> a UTC LS-184, a beautiful transformer from the 1950s, weighs 102 lbs.
> It is 7 kV RMS CT. With a choke input, it would do a 3 kV DC 500 mA
> supply all day long, according to UTC. I need ~ 4 kV at 0.6 - 0.8
> Amps. If I ran it into a capacitor only, and it charged up to near
> peak, it should do the voltage fine. However, I am not certain how
> much current derating it would need for running into a Capacitive
> load.
Lots. I bet the transformer would fry. You can model both modes in the
Duncan Amps PSU designer prog, and get a value for rms and peak
transformer current - although you might have to invent a new diode with
enough PIV (trivial to do). Don't forget to put in a start up delay so
you see the steady state values.

Steve