Re: [Amps] Tuned input board on SB-220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuned input board on SB-220
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:47:44 -0500
With an L network if the tube impedance is lower than the driver impedance
then there will be a coil to ground at the cathode rather than the needed
capacitor.

If the cathode impedance is higher than the driver impedance by a small
(even 3:1) amount then there will be a capacitor on the cathode side of the
L network but it will be too small and the Q will be too low for proper
flywheel effect.

With a tube that has 150 ohms input impedance using an L network to match to
50 ohms will have a capacitance of around 428 pf on 80 meters providing a Q
of only around 1.3.

Bill Orr recommends 13 pf/ meter for input capacitance. That would require
1040 pf at the tubes cathode for proper harmonic current transfer to ground.

Proper Q and proper shunt capacitance at the cathode can not usually be
obtained with an L network. It requires a Pi network to control those
factors. A parallel tuned tank would also work ok.

With an L network at the tube you can get an impedance match to keep the
driver happy but you might just as well employ the tuner in the driver to do
the same.

73
Gary  K4FMX