Re: [Amps] Need some 220K 2 watt carbon resistors

To: "GGLL" <nagato@arnet.com.ar>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need some 220K 2 watt carbon resistors
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:05:07 -0800
"Is there any procedure to test them, if no datasheet is available"

Some years ago, I needed some resistors that were good at low uhf.  I tested
some 2 watt carbon composition resistors.  When I ran them at 2 watts, then
cycled them down, they kept changing resistance.  I thought they would
stabilize, but they never did.  So, I ran them at 1.5 watts and they still
did the same thing.  I abandoned their use and used some glass film
resistors.  Unfortunately, the type I used are no longer available so I need
to try them all again.

Some years later, I learned that carbon composition are hygroscopic (absorb
water).  And, as Ian pointed out, they change resistance just sitting on the
shelf.

Years ago I watched the ALC zero point keep varying on my Collins KWM-2.  I
figured it was a capacitor and kept changing them.  Finally, out of
desperation, I started changing resistors and that was it.

I think most of the resistors today are stable - except the old carbon
composition, so they all should work well in a power supply - if they meet
the voltage rating.

73,  Colin  K7FM