Re: [Amps] [Moon-net] 4CX250B in P-P 2m?

To: "'Dr. David Kirkby'" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>,amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] [Moon-net] 4CX250B in P-P 2m?
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:56:04 -0800
A pair of 4CX250Bs can actually run a pretty clean 1 kW PEP output power.
Mine does.  I operate it at 2.4kV, 640mA peak and it runs 1 kW PEP (CW or
voice) output power at 144 MHz.  The 2.4 kV is slightly higher than
recommended, but I've done this for so many years it just became the norm.
My Eg2 is ~350V regulated by gas tubes and derived from the Ep supply.  I
use *lots* of air (100 cfm blower, 4" squirrel cage 3300 rpm, standard Eimac
air system sockets and chimneys).  I cannot imagine how it would be possible
to achieve any more output than this from a pair of 250Bs without blowing
them out of their sockets...mine runs about 1500W PEP *input* power, for 1
kW PEP output power and draws just 1-2 mA peak Ig to achieve that.  I can
switch it to Class C (-90V Eg1 and +250V Eg2) and run 1 kW key-down with
less plate dissipation and 20mA grid current.  The circuit I use is from a
mid-1960s ARRL Handbook...-WB2WIK/6