Re: [Amps] Rivet-nuts

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Rivet-nuts
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:34:06 -0400
Harry,

In my opinion they're just as good as the Pem nuts. They make several different
styles, some with a hex body that can't ever slip, etc. Only problem is you
have to have a hex hole! Some can have a small tab on them, and they make a
tool to cut a notch for the tab so it can't turn. Others have a serrated neck
that is a press fit before you swage it. The ones at Harbor Freight have a
slick body but they work to, just don't over-tighten the screw. When they're
swaged, it takes a bit of force to break one free. They are used in the
aircraft industry also, so they'll be good. The ones at Harbor though are made
in China, and I think are aluminum. They make both aluminum and steel here in
the states. The main thing on aluminum is watching to not strip the threads. If
you use enough of them in the right places, you can make a really good
enclosure. Another thing you can do is use them where two pieces of sheet metal
overlap making them both a blind nut and a rivet holding the metal t
 ogether. You can by either manual or power tooling to install these. There's
one company I found with the PDF info for the Atlas brand, the link is below.

http://www.enfasco.com/MAINPG.HTM

Best,

Will