Re: [Amps] Rivet nuts

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Rivet nuts
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:20:05 -0400
Paul,

I though about something similar. You could use a piece of thick flat stock,
say 1/8" thick, 1 inch wide, and about 5 inches long. On one end (about 3/4
inch from the end), drill a hole to fit over the threaded stud and slide the
bar back against the chuck jaws. The bar could be bent in an angle so it would
come back away from the work so you could hold it like a handle. Then you would
just put the rivet nut on the threaded stud and back against the flat metal
handle which would act as a stationary mandrel. Even here, a sintered bronze
washer, or a ball bearing thrust washer would be better so the chuck jaws
wouldn't dig into the steel flat handle when you apply forward pressure to hold
the nut from turning. I'm fully intending on coming up with a working design
and will share it with everyone when I get one that works really good.

Here's another idea about the threaded studs. Those cheap rivet guns that
Harbor Freight has uses several sizes of threaded studs, but on one end the
thread size is always the same, and has a left hand thread so when tightening
it wont back out. The other end has right hand threads, the same size of the
rivet-nut threads. A person then could turn an adapter in the lathe and use the
threaded studs. A thrust bearing of one size could be used this way also. I'm
going to look into this and try to design one around it.

Best,

Will