Re: [Amps] Amp Faceplates

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp Faceplates
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:29:40 -0400
Jim,

I notice they don't show printing on a flat hard painted surface like the amp
would have. The reason is, the screen has to be raised above the work about
3/16" and held in a frame. The screen has to be held in the frame taught. Then,
you use the weege to mash down on the stecil when you applying the ink. The
reason for this is the capillary action of the ink to the screen. If it's
laying on the work, the ink has a tendancy to be sucked under the solid parts
of the screen. On cloth, the fabric soaks up the ink and does not tend to do
this. I learned this the hard way when I was building amps, and we decided to
make some silk screens. We had to make a hinged wooden frame to mount the
screen in thus raising it above the work. I don't know if this screen material
will allow you to streach it taught in the frame. The kind we used though was
the commercial stuff you have to use a developer with.

A person may try to use this as a paint stencil using spray paint. This by
taping it on the face of the amp and holding the spray can back at least 12
inches and applying a few coats until it's dark. I have done similar to this
using stencils making PC boards. It's according to how close the silk mesh is
to where this would work. If it's too close together, the paint may tend to
stick to the outside and not go through.

Best,

Will