Re: [Amps] tank coil heating

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] tank coil heating
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 22:55:51 -0400
Chuck,

If the tank coil is copper tubing I come up with a way of cooling them if you
have a pressureized chassis by a blower. What you do is take a piece of teflon
rod or something similar that's RF safe, and drill a hole through the middle
the same diameter as the tubings O.D.. In one end you push in the end of the
coil or the tubing into the hole, and use a small set screw in a tapped hole in
the side to hold it in. A person could glue it in with epoxy also, just don't
plug up the tubing. The botton of the rod goes through the chassis and is held
in place by two nuts, one on either side of the chassis making a it a standoff.
For this, the other end of the rod needs to be threaded. You can use a piece of
3/4" O.D. teflon rod to make this where a regular die can be used to cut 3/4-10
threads. You want to use thin nuts here to mount it with, plastic if possible.
The other end of the coil where it meets the high frequency end towards 10
meters needs to remain open (not blocking the in
 side of the tubing where air can flow through the tubing). Essentially, the
pressureized air from under the chassis comes up through the teflon standoff
and enters one end of the coil / tubing, flows through it, and out the other
end thus cooling the coil.

Another way I seen in large commercial amps is to come up out of the top of the
chassis with a piece of tubing around 1/2" + O.D. to where it's vertical height
comes out just under the center line of the coil. On top of the tubing, they
put a 90 degree elbow on it and aim it at the coil. The end of the elbow should
come out about the center line of the coil. The pressureized air comes up
through the tubing and is blown across the coil when it comes out the end of
the elbow. I seen them use copper tubing/pipe in one, but that might not be a
good idea around a tank circuit over stray C and L. Plastic pipe like PVC would
probably work. They were doing this to cool the finned anode connectors on top
of the tubes.

Best,

Will