Re: [Amps] Henry 8K

To: Richard Carey <rwcarey@gte.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 8K
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:09:36 -0700
Richard Carey wrote:
> I have a Alpha 87A amp. which does a nice job, but am looking for a
> Henry 8K Ultra. I thought I would like to put out a really big signal
> when the need arises. I have heard the big Henry does have some problem
> areas? I would appreciate hearing from any one that could comment on
> this, or has had experience with these amps.?

There are a lot of things to consider.  First of all, RFI to
neighborhood electronic devices gets worse rapidly as you increase
power.  I found, for example, that I had to do a bunch of work on my
alarm system to keep from frying parts when I went from 800 to 1500
watts on 160.  So you will find that the number of neighbors with
problems will increase rapidly.

Another issue is power supply.  You will probably need more than 60 amps
at 240v (if a 1.5 kw amp takes 12 amps, then 5 times the power...).

Every component of your antenna system will have to be able to handle
the power.  Coax, SWR meter, traps, insulators, switches, connectors,
tuners, etc.  You also need to know how to install this kind of stuff.

All this for a miserable 7 DB or so.  If you live in an area where you
can get away with 8 KW from an RFI standpoint, then you have room for a
nice big tower with a reasonable antenna on it, which could be worth
much more than 7 DB.  And it will reduce rx noise, improve rx signal
strength, and in general improve your ham radio experience a lot more
than a huge amount of power.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco