Re: [Amps] VOA Transmitters....

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] VOA Transmitters....
From: "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:37:30 -0700
I had the thrill of standing INSIDE a kazillion watt transmitter's final
cage, at VOA -- Dixon, CA .. back in the late 6Øs .. awesome!  The tour of
that station really got me into broadcast engineering.  Heck, a 1ØKW
transmitter was just not as forbidding after that!  A ham that I had met on
4ØM .. possibly WCARS .. had invited me for a personal showing .. wow!  I
have somewhere some outside views of the facility, cannot remember why I
don't have inside pix...  perhaps security?  Hmmm.  Dixon is `twixt SF and
Sacto ...  farmlands abound thereabouts.

Mark Nelson  -  AA6DX

mailto: AA6DX@ARRL.NET

   1. Re: WLW 500 kW transmitter Message: 1
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 09:11:43 -0500
-1"

I went by the old VOA site. It is now a county park. Also drove by WLW
transmitter. It is right in downtown Mason.Wish my camera had been working
:-(. Awesome sight!
                           Joe W4AAB
Joe,
In your short drive you passed a lot of history.   Yep, next time you will
probably have your camera at the ready.
73,
Ken W2DTC