[Amps] 4-1000 amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 4-1000 amp
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:57:07 -0500
I remember building my first amplifier of significant power back in 1978.
It was the 4-1000 amp of ARRL handbooks gone by and Bill Orr handbooks.
It was a single tube amp but I used the 3-1000Z instead a huge jug of a glass
tube.
I put a window in to see the tube in operation and it was absolutely beautiful
to behold especially when making power.
The high voltage power supply was from a BC-610 minus the mercury vapor
rectifiers that I replaced with solid state array and built into a plywood box
that took two people to carry.
I sold that amplifier prior to leaving the Philippine Islands and wonder if it
is still on the air today or not.
Anyway, I can understand the hams here talking about building amps with these
huge glass tubes as they are quite pretty when operating.
Thanks
KB0GU