Re: [Amps] 4-1000 amp

To: Gene Bigham <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4-1000 amp
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 19:15:23 -0400
On May 26, 2006, at 4:57 PM, Gene Bigham wrote:

> It was a single tube amp but I used the 3-1000Z instead a huge jug
> of a glass tube.

Curious question -- I recently wondered why it is that the 3-1000Z
was never that popular a tube in amateur circles, but the 3-500Z was.
Why did many amateur designs use two 3-500Zs instead of one 3-1000Z.
Seems like it would simplify things. One bottle and you could to the
legal limit with a simple grounded-grid circuit.

The market made some determination, as 3-500Zs are still being made,
and 3-1000Zs are unobtainium....

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901