[Amps] LK-500

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] LK-500
From: edk0kl@centurytel.net
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:07:05 -0500 (CDT)
Jeff:

You don't have to buy anything from Harbach. Mouser has a high current DPDT
relay with a 12 volt coil.
Wire each side of the line (think 220, but will work at 120) through a set of
normally open contacts.
Now connect 20 ohm 10 watt resisters across the relay contacts. When the unit
turns on, there's no DC voltage, as the supply wakes up, at about 9 volts the
relay closes bringing the line to full power.
In my case I replaced the filters with larger capacity (I think 540 uf). I was
concerned about the inrush due to these caps, and the filaments and the rest of
the unit. I found 30 ohms worked better, either one works. You will also need a
little perf board for this.
Dunno why use AC for this, but thats AMP Supply's design.

73!

ed K0KL