Re: [Amps] Filament choke

To: Ed Smith <w4eds@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filament choke
From: R L Measures <R@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 03:54:56 -0700
On May 29, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Ed Smith wrote:

> Hi
>
> Ron  W2CQM/3 said you might be willing to answer a question about
> my filament choke.
>
> I have a choke that was removed from a Henry IIK amplifier.
>
> It is a toroid 2 inches diameter with 15 1/2 turns each side.. One
> winding measures 8.8 microhenries and the other 9.9.
>
> The Henry was good down to 80 meters and I need 160 meters.
>
> Ron says the choke is not frequency sensitive. I find that hard to
> believe.
>
> What do you say ??

ED---8.8uH is enough for 1.8MHz provided that one cancels the XL with
XC.  In this case it would be c. 1000pF, which is added to C2 of the
160m tuned input.
   Chokes with ferrite cores are sensitive to frequencies and flux
densities Above what the core material is rated at by the mfg, not by
the seller.  I have never seen a problem with using a 80m-10m fil-
choke on 160m provided that the L is compensated for with C on 160m.
cheers

> Ed Smith  W4EDS
> Spencer, VA
> w4eds@yahoo.com