Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, "Mike Sawyer" <w3slk@uplink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:02:43 -0700
From: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>

>> DC Plate Voltage........ 4000 Volts
>> DC Plate Current........ 0.400 Amp
>> Plate Dissipation........ 500 Watts
>> Grid Dissipation........ 20 Watts
>>
>> I think someone ought to recant their statements with regards to
>> what the
>> manufacturer's maximum rating specifications.
>
> So, Mike, explain to me how the manufacturer can get constant current
> curves all the way up to 2.2 A if the maximum plate current is .4 A.

Pulsed measurements.

BTW, if you do the math ->  4000 volts x 400mA = 1600 watts input
power. At 70% efficiency, that's ~500 watts plate dissipation, so there's
some consistency between the numbers.

Interestingly enough the 3-500Z data sheet states the following:

"SPECIAL APPLICATIONS:
If it is desired to operate this tube under conditions widely
different from those given here, write to Power Grid Tube Division,
Eimac Division of Varian, 301 San Carlos Way, San Carlos,
California, for more information and recommendations."

Seems that Tom did follow the data sheet after all.