Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 05:30:52 +0100 (BST)
This is probably a silly question, but it intrigues
me:

I can understand why ranges, heaters, AMPLIFIERS and
other high power devices need a 240V supply, and I can
understand why in North America that supply is
balanced around neutral. What I don't understand is
why, when they decided that ranges needed timers and
clocks and all the rest, they didn't just power the
electronics from 240V? After all, most of the rest of
the world uses 230V for everything.

73 Roger
VE3ZI/G3RBP