Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer
From: ToddRoberts2001@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:21:55 EDT
In a message dated 7/5/2006 12:31:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ve3zi@yahoo.com writes:
This is probably a silly question, but it intrigues
me:

I can understand why ranges, heaters, AMPLIFIERS and
other high power devices need a 240V supply, and I can
understand why in North America that supply is
balanced around neutral. What I don't understand is
why, when they decided that ranges needed timers and
clocks and all the rest, they didn't just power the
electronics from 240V? After all, most of the rest of
the world uses 230V for everything.

73 Roger
VE3ZI/G3RBP

I think this is a carryover from American electric kitchen ranges made in the
50's and 60's and possibly later. Back then, most electric kitchen ranges had
courtesy 110V outlets for a toaster, coffee maker, etc. Since they were wired
for 110V outlets it was probably easier to use 110V clocks, timers and
lightbulbs. I don't think many electric kitchen ranges have accessory outlets
nowadays so they probably could run everything from 240V. They may still use
120V
for the electronics inside though. 73 Todd WD4NGG