Re: [Amps] Silly question - interim report on results.

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Silly question - interim report on results.
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:27:23 -0400
> Don't quite follow about the RC oscillator - they rely on
> successive phase shifts, rather than Q in the terms of
> energy stored over energy released. Same with a ring
> oscillator.

Phase shift of the feedback is an issue in any oscillator.
The point is things can oscillate with almost any Q if phase
is correct and feedback level is high enough.

> A quick calculation suggests that the feedback path loss
> (ratio of AC grid volts for a given AC plate volts)
> is -56dB, while the forward gain (ratio of AC grid volts
> to AC plate volts) is 34dB.

The biggest worry with paper amplifiers is stability in high
winds.

Just like the distortion debacle proved, we have to know the
actual working system. What does an actual measurement at
the problem frequency show?

73 Tom