Re: [Amps] Silly question - interim report on results.

To: "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Silly question - interim report on results.
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:52:47 -0400
Dear Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

What I ended up doing in the worst offender amp was to
completely rewire the choke, twice, and then changed the
cold end's bypass capacitance to another value.

The other troublesome component to nail down was the blocking
cap. I had a beautiful Jennings glass fixed vacuum
with a great mount, 2,000pF at 75KVaR, 15KV, but it was too
close to the anodes....

Hal

Removing turns at the voltage maxima points (highest E
field) has the largest effect on series resonant
frequencies. So if you have a resonance parked in a Ham band
just slide a metal screwdriver blade along the choke until
you see the resonance shift the largest amount possible, and
take turns off in that spot.

73 Tom