Re: [Amps] high frequency filament excitation TSPA

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <amps@contesting.com>,"John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: [Amps] high frequency filament excitation TSPA
From: "k7rdx" <k7rdx@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:12:30 -0700
For what it`s worth,I had a filament hum/ac modulation problem several years
ago after constructing a GS-35b using conventional center tap negative.I
cured the problem using a seperate choke to the cathode side, and not using
the ct on the filament transformer.Since then I have constructed a YC156/
3CPX5000A7 and used half of the filament choke feeding the cathode side with
success and no reports of any hum/filament ac modulation. I did try a
seperate choke with the same results.Testing was done with a ham friend
close to me listing for any hum with no voice modulation.No diffrence in
signal or presence of hum was detected with amp in line or on standby,and on
air reports world wide have been very gratifying. With 6400vdc/36v bias the
zsac is 250ma and the tube behaves very well with close to 60% efficiency
20-80 meters. 73,Jim K7RDX..