Re: [Amps] high frequency filament excitation TSPA

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] high frequency filament excitation TSPA
From: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:57:11 -0500
I'll probably get some rebuttals from this but here goes.  I constructed a
3cpx5000a7 amp a couple years ago. The 15 VAC transformer I used for warming
the filament was not center tapped. Although the 3cpx5000 has it's cathode
tied to one side of the filament and should be biased accordingly, I used
diodes with there cathodes attached to each side of the filament windings
then tied all there anodes to a common point which served as an artificial
center tap ( for lack of another term ). To regulate bias voltage to the
cathode of the 3cpx5000 I used two HV diode modules in series, attaching the
anode of these to the artificial center tap. With the HV module I obtained
40V DC bias via the B- and artificial center tap. At about 5KVDC plate
voltage I get a little over 300 mils ZSAC with this arrangement. Thus far I
haven't had any complaints of hum and all seems to work well. I didn't have
an oscilloscope to verify at the time of construction. Maybe everyone's just
being nice to me.
Regards,
Larry N5BIP