Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:12:49 -0400
See Below;

On 7/15/06 at 12:00 AM Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

>Tony King - W4ZT wrote:
>>
>>The reason I chose a small switcher for my filament supply was to
>>provide a stable DC filament voltage over changing input line voltages.
>
>In Field Day use, with more than one station hooked up to the same
>generator, there can be violent swings in the line voltage as stations
>switch unpredictably between transmit and receive. A regulated
>filament/heater supply could prevent damage due to insufficient cathode
>temperature.

I tee-totally agree. I would want the heater supply to be DC, and be regulated.
Any fluctuations then
will not affect the heater voltage. Running DC on a heater will also increase
heater life. It's the same
as using a rectifier on a standard lamp in the home. The life would be a good
bit increased I would
think where the current wouldn't be alternating.

>I'd certainly consider a switcher for that application. There is no
>shortage of well-designed, well-shielded switchmode supplies with good
>input and output filtering.

One can rectify the line voltage then step up the frequency in a
transformer-converter circuit and get
the same results. The square wave output can then be rectified, filtered, and
regulated. The transformer
will be a good bit smaller in size. I would run one anywhere from 400 Hz to 1
kHz.That would make
for a good light weight amp. If it's filtered well, I don't think the heater or
cathode would be effected as
far as interference.

>--
>73 from Ian GM3SEK