Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switching Power Supplies
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:00:15 +0100

Harold Mandel wrote:
> Dear Steve,
>
> You raise a very good point in your question about what happens to a
> switching P/S
> in an arc situation.

Hi Hal. I understand all the points you make - for sure anything with
semiconductors in it has to be potentially more fragile than a simple
mains transformer, but I think it also depends on situation. Here's my
reasoning (and I'm wide open to correction):

Where there's a heater and indirect cathode, a well designed amplifier
should have protection diodes so that the cathode doesn't shift by more
than a few volts during an arc, so the switcher shouldn't be exposed to
any big voltage spikes whether or not one end of the heater is tied to
the cathode. Arc fault current shouldn't flow through the heater circuit
at all. The heater winding will be an isolated winding, no ground
reference and with 5+kV insulation to ground so even if eht does reach
the heater somehow, the energy transferred into the electronics will be
through the interwinding capacitance, and I think a pair of beefy FETs
will probably handle that.

73, Steve