Re: [Amps] transformers

To: "Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] transformers
From: "John Vickers" <wa4tt@nlamerica.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:08:46 -0400
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>

>> If this is so, why should anyone ever have bought an
>> SB-220, when the
>> SB-200 was also rated at that exact same power, with a
>> much lower price?

My memory is not what it used to be, but I built an SB 200 in the early 70s
and would almost swear that it was only rated at 1/2 Kw out / 1Kw PEP---
using the accepted rule of thumb (at the time) of twice DC inp to state PEP.
Another thing that alot of newer hams don't realize is that the FCC was much
more involved in the process back then.

I was treated to a visit from one of the field officers from Powder Springs
monitoring station in about 1967 to check my power. About 2 hours after he
left, the little white warning slip arrived in the mail. I was being warned
for *Advocating the use of illegal power*. At the time my amp was just a
pair of 813s and the pwr xfmr was two HV xfmrs from TV sets in series to
supply the B+. I was below 1Kw input but he gave me heck because I didn't
have any meters to read voltage or current. Just tuned up with a string of
300 watt light bulbs ! He also advised me that I really didn't need to be
hanging out on 3895kc --- where they had heard the conversation about high
power. Being a scared teen, thinking I was headed to the big house, I moved
back down to CW for a few weeks. I doubt very seriously that any commercial
amp producers advertised power ratings above legal limit back then.
73, John WA4TT