Re: [Amps] transformers

To: "Mike K6BR" <noddie@comcast.net>,"'Roy Koeppe'" <royanjoy@ncn.net>,"'Amps Reflector'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] transformers
From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:58:11 -0400
Mike:

Your experience is exactly what I have seen in the many SB 220s that I have
repaired and modified.  I think to upgrade the blower is wise at these power
levels, and I think you need to change out the switching to avoid eventual
hot switching problems with EBC and vacuum relays.  The amps are beautiful
as silent switchers operating QSK and much more pleasant while operating
VOX.

With these upgrades, I doubt I will see this level of operation "take its
toll".  I've been operating since 1967 and only replaced leaky filter caps
in both units.  I did once loose a string of diodes in the SB 200.  Pretty
good service I would say.  These are wonderful economic designs, perfect for
the amateur market and sensible upgrading.

73 and Happy DXing,

Mike
W2AJI