Re: [Amps] Fw: transformers

To: "'m.ford'" <k1ern@pioneerwireless.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: transformers
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:50:46 -0500
Just so no one gets confused; This is where we started from:

Mike said:
As for PEP. I always felt it was a  marketing term. Never
Bothered with it and from the lengthy discussion here I have learned nothing
new.

Gary said:
How else would you measure SSB power if not PEP?

Mike said:
Hi Gary. Define the term "SSB power".

Gary said:
That's my question Mike.

 Rephrased; how would you rate the power output of an SSB transmitter?
 What units would you express the output power in?

Mike said:
Watts come to mind.

Gary said:
What kind of watts?

Mike said:
 Watts is Watts. You can re-visit the argument about rms vs average
 but in the end Watts is Watts. I think you are coming dangerously
 close
 to another term that is used in certain circles.  "talk power".

Gary said:
So you are telling us that peak power, peak envelope power and average
Power all have the same meaning and are one and the same?

Mike said:
 Negative.  I am trying to make it clear to you that power is measured in
 Watts.
 I think Rich mentioned recently that one horsepower equals 746 Watts.
 50 DBM is equal to 100 Watts. Where those Watts are in time and
 bandwidth
 or whatever term you use to describe what they are doing and how they
 are
 being dissipated is an entirely different subject. The unit of
 measurement for
 PEP, peak and average power is Watts.

Gary said:
I think the subject IS exactly "what those watts are doing". The question
posed to you was "how would you measure SSB power if not expressing it in
terms of PEP". Peak envelope power is generally understood to be expressed
in "watts". Watts by itself tells you very little about how you are
measuring the power.
Since you don't seem to have a better method of expressing the power out of
an SSB transmitter than PEP that you imply is useless, then you may be
stepping near the edge of the trough in the barn that holds the the used
hay.

73
Gary  K4FMX