Re: [Amps] Grid fuses (was: Life and gain of 3-500Z)

To: noway@nohow.com, Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid fuses (was: Life and gain of 3-500Z)
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:46:00 -0700
On Jul 19, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Bill Turner wrote:

> [...]

Real fuses work okay provided they aren't slow-acting.  Real fuses
also have resistance.  I like to use a frangible resistor since one
does not need to install a fuse holder, resistors are less expensive,
and a carbon film R tends to limit current better than a fuse before
it blows.
  - note - We currently use 0.25w, 30-ohm carbon-film resistors for
grid-fusing 3-500Zs, 811s, and 572Bs.

> There are some micro-miniature fast blow
> fuses available which would not add much lead inductance, if that is a
> consideration.

Lead L is not a factor since the grid is grounded for RF through caps.
As I see it, smaller is a disadvantage if there's room for the
ordinary stuff.
> 2. If the fuse blows, you wouldn't want the grid to be floating I'd
> think.

Nor would I at first glance, however, nothing awful seems to happen
when the grid floats.  Examples:  When a SB-220 blows a grid RFC,
nothing happens -- or when a 3-500Z is high-pot tested at 9000volts,
it makes zero difference if the grid floats.

> Do you parallel the fuse with a high value resistor to maintain
> DC continuity?

No, Bill, but the TL-922 has a 5k R in parallel with the grid RFC,
presumably for this purpose.  I can see the logic of using one, but I
know it does not prevent filament-grid shorts or other damage to a
3-500Z.

cheers
> Bill, W6WRT

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734