Re: [Amps] 3cx3000A7 driver

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3cx3000A7 driver
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:34:15 +0200
Peter,

You are certainly right...

Making a medium to high power HF transmitter with "close-in" noise sidebands of
-160 dBc/Hz would be a very difficult task indeed.

It is not only the spectral purity of all oscillators involved that count, but
also the aggregated noise properties of the amplifiers and level control loops.

Having been deeply involved with military "co-located" HF systems in the past,
I fully appreciate the efforts put into "high-end" HF hardware by their
designers,
i.a. the necessity of building the input end of an HF power amplifier in the
same way as a receiver low-noise amplifier, not to degrade the overall SNR.

Despite these efforts, it is still uncommon to find better noise floors than
-150 dBc/Hz at 20 kHz spacing
for "production" HF equipment.

An account of the design philosophies required to approach these levels of
performance can be found
in a paper "A New Generation of HF Power Amplifiers" by K G Nygren in the
Proceedings of the Nordic HF Conference HF92, which goes into the design
considerations for the ITT-Standard Radio SSA1020 1 kW MOSFET amplifier.

Having accomplished transmitter and receiver sideband noise floors of -160
dBc/Hz, at, say, 10 kHz spacing, the next major task would be finding a way of
reducing the IM sidebands of  tunable SSB transmitters to corresponding
levels....

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM