Re: [Amps] AMPS

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AMPS
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:40:19 -0700
On Jul 22, 2006, at 10:06 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Measures writes:
>
>> If the anode potential fell to a very low level during parasitic
>> regeneration, electrons from the 3, 8874s' cathodes would mostly
>> flow into their grids, causing a >18A burst of grid-current which
>> would quite likely cause the 5A-rated Q1 to C-E short.  .
>
> Anode potential falls to a very low level without corresponding high
> anode current?  Amazing but not possible.

High anode-I corresponds with low anode-V.

> The plate current pulse
> would cause the control board to take the HV off line and quench
> any activity.
>
> In any case, VDR1 shown between the cathode and chassis would likely
> short if the cathode flew high enough to support your claimed 18 A
> grid current pulse.

Eimac specs the repetitive peak anode current at 6A per tube, and the
one shot capability would undoubtedly be a bit more than that.

>>> Once again, fast electronic protection takes the amplifier
>>> off-line. I repeat: Q1 is a bias transistor, it is NOT part
>>> of the protection circuit, and it is NOT required to interrupt
>>> large currents.
>>
>> Even during a VHF parasitic?
>
> Yes .. yes ... and yes again.  The power for the parasitic has to
> come from somewhere.

??

> The parasitic must also generate an anode
> current pulse to "feed" itself - properly designed safety circuits
> will remove both HV and drive (and generally open the cathode as
> well) when high grid and anode currents are sensed at the same time.

For an 8877 amplifier, are these safety circuits designed to handle
the peak emissive ability of the tube??

> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734