Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

To: craxd1@verizon.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work
From: "S. J. Blackwell" <w5lu@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 07:32:22 -0500

>Peter,
>
>I don't think he said they absolutely couldn't happen. What I've read about
>this was that the most vacuum that can be pulled is around 10 atmospheres.

Can someone explain to me what 10 atm of vacuum is? I have always thought in
terms of absolute pressure. Back in the mid 20th century, when in college,I
participated in the construction of a mass spectrometer. We used a
mechanical fore pump and a Hg diffusion pump with a cold trap. The numbers
we thought seemed approiate were examp: 1x10-12 mmHg pressure. 10atm of
vacuum does not compute for me. Did I miss something?
73,
Sam, W5LU