Re: [Amps] Arc distance and plasma

To: "Steven Cook" <sccook1@cox.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Arc distance and plasma
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:03:50 -0400
Steve,

Keep in mind that there's a difference in the gas ionized you see as a purple
glow and that of an arc. However, these ions go in the opposite direction of
electrons in a tube, and strike the cathode which can damage it. They also
start to neutralize the space charge which causes anode current to rise until
you have a snowball effect, and the tube can eventually burn up from the high
current. This can go on until the cathode can't emit any more electrons and the
tube is said to saturate. This is where you'd see a white hot anode and the
glass actually getting hot enough to melt.

It's according to how much a tube has went soft (gassy) as to where any getter
can clean it up. The gas has to be absorbed by the getter material, and the
getter has to be so that it will absorb all gasses in the tube. If the glow is
still in the tube after it has set and baked for a while, or baked several
times, I'd venture to say it never will. What will happen is that the cathode
emmision will start to eventually drop off from being damaged from the ions
striking it. This can also cause material from the cathode to be deposited on
the control grid thereby damaging it that much more.

Best,

Will