Re: [Amps] Arc distance

To: gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Arc distance
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:05:45 -0400
Ian,

My reference is the Radio Engineers Handbook by Terman. I have several other
books here on getters, but I'd have to dig them up to get the names and authors.

Sure, "full of hydrogen gas" wouldn't happen in a split second, nor would it
really fill up the tube. Really, I should have said it would have hydrogen gas
in place of O2, etc. in some quantity. After the tube was operated over time,
more hydrogen would escape. The kicker is, the anode coated with zirconium
would actually absorb hydrogen gas while it was heated at 300 deg, but when it
started getting over that temperature somewhere, it would start liberating it
at operating temperature. It's an oddity in that type of material. 400 deg C
would be where the anode would start to show red color in a dark room from
heating up. Terman says you need two different pieces of zirconium heated at
two different temperatures to work correctly. Accordingly he says, tantalum
would be a much better, but more expensive choice. This is in the vacuum tube
section of the book under the title "Getters". I have the 1st edition, but it
should be in all of them I would think.

Best,

Will