Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: mike kendall <ke6cvh@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 06:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
OK,
    I will email my buddy Don and ask him if he wants to re-gurgitate the
specifics on his AL-1200 woes.  It has been a while since I've emailed him
anyways.  I'll ask him if I can cut and paste his story with the technical
details.  He did spend quite a bit of time trying to convince Ameritron to
change the capacitor bank around on the phone.
    I'm not a hater of Ameritron as I do presently own one.  I like to think I
have a little more technical savy than the average "joe".  If I was a so called
appliance operator, I would be pretty dis-appointed if my Ameritron broke and I
couldn't get the factory to fix it properly.  When I get around to upgrading
the t/r relay to a "gigavac" vacuum relay, I will feel it is my duty to post on
the eham.net reviews reflector so others can improve/hotrod their linear as
well and be a better tech for doing it.
  Best 73,
  Mike

R L Measures <r@somis.org> wrote:

On Jul 28, 2006, at 11:46 PM, mike kendall wrote:

> I don't want to bash Ameritron but I have a friend who bought an
> AL-1200 and did have considerable problems with the electrolytic
> capacitor bank on the HV power supply. They did not have a good
> safety margin on their ratings when compared to the output voltage.

Indeed, Mike. When he was still working for Ameritron/MFJ, W8JI told
us that Ameritron amps don't have a glitch-R because their filters
caps have so much ESR built-in that they don't need one. Shocking.

> My friend recommended a good US source for an electrolytic that
> would allow a safety margin. I seem to remember he blew out the
> caps a couple of times before he got rid of it. A great looking
> amp with a problem that needed to be fixed and Amertron unwilling
> to fix it properly.

Martin F. Jue seems to think that price is more important than good
engineering practice. I used to own a VW bus, and as I eventually
found out, VW has the same stinkin' policy when it comes to engine
design. The engine was kaput (swallowed a valve) at 65,000 miles.
Adding c. $200 to the cost (heat-resistant valves & seats + external
oil cooler) would have fixed the problems with the engine and
resulted in happier customers.

> I own an ALS-600 solid state linear and have experienced problems
> with the open frame relay. I read on Eham.net that others have
> also had this problem. I am currently looking into replacing it
> with a Gigavac device but once again, think Ameritron should either
> offer a QSK vacuum relay as an option, standard, or some other type
> of fix. I have had two Ameritron linears, the AL-80A was OK (also
> blew a HV electrolytic but plenty of space to
> fix it easy). Overall, my opinion is Ameritron is good but they
> need to listen to their customers a little better and fix problems
> a little quicker.

Corporate ethics is an oxymoron, and a pretty damn good example is
Exxon.

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org