Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:31:07 -0600
Fred Hammond built amps before Viewstar.  I don’t remember
the model but, George, VE3FXT, took one to Fiji in 1983.  It
was a single tube 3-500Z.  It sure ran hot; we had the case
off, not the cover, to help with the cooling.  Am sure you
could easy fry an egg on the thing.

Doug/VA5DX

    Yes Ed, Fred Hammond was involved in the building of
those Viewstar
amplifiers as Fred supplied the dies to make the tuning
capacitors.  I
recall when Paul Hivniak (not sure on spelling of his name)
had a big
sale on all the models especially the PT-1000 and the
PT-2500 so that
must have been at about the time that they shut down the
canadian
operations. The PT-3000A was in same cabinet as the PT-2500
amp.  I'm
not aware of the details as to whether Viewstar actually
went under but
I do know that B&W had bought the rights to them but it
appears that not
very many were sold then.
    Fern     VE7GZ

Date: 7/28/2006