Re: [Amps] MTBF - was Ameritron Amps

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MTBF - was Ameritron Amps
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:20:59 -0400
> Bob said:
>>MTBF simply means "Mean Time Between Failure", Mean is the
>>arithmetic
> average. On the average, the unit in question will fail at
> that point, some
> less, some more and the variation of when the item will
> fail is dependant
> upon the sigma of the distribution<
> No disagreement, Bob. You need a lot more data than one
> point on a curve to make any estimate of when an equipment
> or component is going to fail, and you have to establish
> exactly what your failure criteria is, as well.
> Peter G3RZP

..and you can't blindly grab a number like "2000 hours" NOT
apply it to the component manufacturer's formula for using
that very number to determine life, and think you know the
actual MTBF.

2000 hours is not how long the capacitor lasts, it is a base
number that has to be plugged into the manufacturer's
formula I gave. Without using that formula the 2000 is
totally useless.

How to use that number is right in the application sheets in
black and white.

73 Tom