[Amps] Spam from Members of this List ...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Spam from Members of this List ...
From: "Administrator" <amps@myrealbox.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:04:28 -0400
Tony writes:

> Contesting Dot Com publishes ALL of our email addresses IN
> THE CLEAR on the archive.  The spammers collect these email
> addresses from the archive without having to sign in or do
> ANYTHING except grab them and use them. Don't believe me?

There are two sets of archives for Amps and *all* of the other
lists at contesting.com.  One is the "standard" downloadable
archives: http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/amps/ the other
set of archives are the "searchable" archives:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Amps/

The "normal" archive function of the list software does obscure
e-mail addresses and has done so since the feature became available
in early 2003.  However, Tony's comments have caused me to do some
further research.  The "searchable" archives for *ALL* of the
contesting.com lists do provide unobscured e-mail addresses.

I will be contacting the software maintainers to see if there is
an option to obscure e-mail addresses in the searchable archives.
Those archives are a separate application and not under the control
of the individual list administrators.

73,

   ... Administrator
       amps@contesting.com