Re: [Amps] State of the Amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] State of the Amp
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080906@w4zt.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:45:21 -0400
Bill and the group,

The information regarding power dissipation I put on that page didn't
come from any published data sheet but rather from empirical knowledge
gained by those using the tube. Remember, the only data sheet available
for that tube was for pulse service at about 900 MHz.  All of them were
manufactured in a Union factory in Siberia, not Svetlana, for military
and select civil aviation use.  Much of the information you can find
would indicate that the tube was used airborne RADAR and probably in a
thin atmosphere. Even though the tube is of planar construction and
doesn't cool as well, the copper cooler is huge and weighs more than TWO
complete 8877's by itself. Unfortunately for commercial use the tube is
long since out of production and only old stock is available. That
doesn't take away from the desirability of the GS-35B for amateur use.
It is a VERY rugged tube that loves to operate between 3000 and 3600
volts.  Folks have much poorer luck with voltages above 3600 and
frequent failures at 4000 Volts and above. There are many of these tubes
in use from HF through 1296 by hams and is certainly a whole lot more
Watts for the buck than anything else you can buy.

73, Tony W4ZT
http://gs35b.com