Re: [Amps] Stolen Radio

To: n9aa@arrl.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Stolen Radio
From: "KA9OFM John Garrett" <ka9ofm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:55:56 -0500
You're comparing apples to T-bone steaks. It's not illegal to modify or
sell modified rigs, whereas it's very illegal to sell stolen items.

Scott, N9AA

Scott, this guy modifies the rigs so they are able to transmit the full
spectrum of what they were designed to only receive. Such as the public
service, fire, police, and military frequencies - You don't think that
having a radio that will transmit on these frequencies is illegal? You don't
think something is wrong with eBay for not putting a damper on this?? If not
then consider what harm could be done if these radios are in the wrong hands
- such as terrorists.

As far as the illegal radio goes - I am not certain of how that fellow said
that the radio was his in the first place. I am not taking a side here! But
I didn't see any serial number information on the listing. Maybe I missed it
- I'll go back and look. On the other side of the coin it is not only
illegal to sell stolen merchandise but also to buy stolen merchandise. If
pressed the true owner could go through an agonizing procedure but in the
end reclaim their property as long as they have substantial proof that the
item is theirs.

John, KA9OFM