[Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag

To: <AMPS@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:47:45 -0400
Here is what I understand from the consensus of opinion:

1. VHF Parasitics may develop sufficient amperage
    such that filaments may physically distort.

2. Some sort of oscillation can happen as a result
    of mis-tuning, etc., that may be called "parasitic."

3. The Q of the Lsup device may or may not dampen
     oscillations or events that may cause filament sag.\

4.  Some 8877 amps have used Lsup devices, some
     have not.

5.  Some commercial manufacturers use Lsup
     material(s) that are higher resistance than
     silver strapping with no attempt at an added
     series inductance.

Why then, is there anyone using Lsup circuits, and
conversely, why is there anyone not using Lsup's?

I can understand how a tube like a 3-500Z or 4-1000A
can experience filament sag with huge amounts of
inrush current. Is the energy conveyed during a
"grid excursion" enough to distort a filament?
(Let's say we feed the RF drive through the center tap
 of the filament xfmr)

With the amount of energy required to deform a filament
where does the power come from, the filament supply?

Again, respectfully,

Hal
W4HBM

[snip]
> Parasitic
> oscillation MAY be the cause for SOME grid-to-filament shorts.
[snip]