Re: [Amps] Filament forces

To: "Amps Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filament forces
From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:04:20 -0400
As one of those that is interested, and with a wiremaker's perspective, I am
under the impression that mechanical stability of the filament,
the attachment to its posts or anchor points, had much to do about "waving".
Rigid attachment of the filament is important for mechanical
stability of the filament, and is of importantance for maintaining filament
position, and to avoid shorts due to "waving", where tolerances are close.

It seems to me that the inrush damage is not an electrical or magnetic field
issue, but rather a thermal shock, mechanical stability issue.  Advances in
ceramic
mounting techniques, and other metallurgical technologies have attempted to
stabilize the filament to hold position.

Low coefficients of thermal expansion, over very large temperature ranges,
would seem to be essential here.

I have not designed filament systems myself, however I have investigated
thermal and electrical characteristics of fuse wires, and it too is fairly
complex
study.

I feel fairly sure that if we had a number of grid to filament shorted
tubes, and the time to study them, we could determine why the filament
changed position, and
if there is a common root cause for this failure.

Just my personal view here.

73 and Happy DXing,

Mike
W2AJI